Tuesday, 18 August 2026PREMIUM EDITORIAL
Lake Kariba RIDA Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 93

Lake Kariba RIDA Ferry Disaster Death Toll Rises to 93

Z
ZimCelebs·August 18, 2026·6 min read

The death toll from the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) ferry disaster on Lake Kariba has risen to 93 , with Zimbabwean police confirming that...

The death toll from the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) ferry disaster on Lake Kariba has risen to 93, with Zimbabwean police confirming that 83 of the victims have now been positively identified by their next of kin.

The Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) confirmed the latest figure in an update on Tuesday, August 18, saying the death toll had reached 93 as of 11am. The police also released the names of 39 victims who had been positively identified by their relatives.

The latest identifications bring the total number of victims positively identified to 83. Police said 44 victims had previously been identified on August 14, while the latest update added another 39 names.

Advertisement

Among those identified are adults and children from communities in and around Kariba and other areas. The victims named in the latest police update include Jeremiah Chakabvapasi, 32, Mereki Hwani, 54, and Tanatswa Ncube, 10.

Other victims identified include two-year-old Siadembe Richard Junior from Karoi and two-year-old Eken Kapandura from Kalundu Village in Chief Mola, Siakobvu. Police also identified Beauty George, 29, from Gatchegatche Fishing Camps in Kariba, and Noah Msaka, 40, from Nyamhunga 2.

The latest list also includes Trish Mangoroma, 21, Lungulani Sianjema, four, and Mitchel Jeke, seven. Police said the 39 people named in the latest update had been positively identified by their next of kin.

The accident happened on August 11 when the RIDA-operated ferry overturned on Lake Kariba. Earlier reports from police and international news agencies said the vessel was overloaded and encountered difficult conditions on the lake.

The ferry was authorised to carry 90 people but officials said it was carrying 114 adults and five crew members, in addition to an unspecified number of children. The number of people actually aboard has remained difficult to establish because some children were not included in the official passenger count.

The Civil Protection Unit said 77 people were rescued after the accident. Earlier reports indicated that rescue teams, including specialist underwater personnel, were deployed as authorities searched for survivors and recovered bodies from the lake.

The ferry was an important transport link for rural communities living around Lake Kariba. Passengers included villagers and fish traders who used the vessel to travel between communities around the lake and Kariba town.

The disaster has resulted in one of Zimbabwe’s country’s deadliest boat accidents. As the recovery operation continued, the number of confirmed deaths increased from 44 earlier in the week to 68, then 72 and 80 before reaching 93 in Tuesday’s latest police update.

The rising death toll has also meant that the work of identifying victims has continued alongside the recovery operation. Families have been travelling to Kariba to seek information about relatives who were aboard the ferry. Earlier reports said hundreds of people gathered at the district hospital to identify victims.

The accident has drawn attention to the number of passengers on the ferry compared with its authorised capacity. The vessel was approved to carry 90 people, while officials reported 114 adults and five crew members on board, together with an unknown number of children.

Reports also said the ferry encountered rough conditions before it overturned. Reuters reported that police investigations indicated the boat was overloaded and toppled during heavy winds.

Survivors interviewed by the Associated Press described difficult conditions before the ferry capsized. According to AP, some survivors said passengers had raised concerns about the conditions and that the vessel began taking on water before overturning.

The circumstances surrounding the accident remain the subject of attention as recovery efforts continue. The available police update confirms the death toll and victim identifications but does not provide a final account of what caused the ferry to overturn.

The latest police statement also does not provide a final figure for the total number of people who were aboard the vessel. Previous reports have noted differences in the numbers because of the presence of children who were not included in the official passenger figures.

The RIDA ferry was operated by the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency, a Government department responsible for infrastructure development and related services. RIDA’s official website describes the agency as a quasi-government department under the Office of the President and Cabinet.

Lake Kariba lies along the border between Zimbabwe and Zambia and is a major water body used by communities living around its shores. The ferry provided an important transport service for people travelling between rural communities and Kariba.

The latest recovery figures mean that 93 people have now been confirmed dead in the disaster, while 83 victims have been positively identified by their families. Ten of the deceased have not yet been identified according to the figures provided in the police update.

Police released the latest names as part of the ongoing identification process. The release of the names allows relatives and communities to establish whether their loved ones are among those recovered from the lake.

The identification process remains an important part of the response because the victims came from different communities. The names released by police show that those affected included adults and young children from Kariba, Karoi, Hurungwe and other areas.

The disaster has also prompted continued coverage of maritime safety on Lake Kariba. Earlier reports highlighted concerns about the ferry’s passenger capacity and the conditions in which the vessel was operating.

However, the latest police statement does not assign responsibility for the accident or announce any arrests or charges arising from it. The confirmed information at this stage concerns the death toll, the identification of victims and the continuing response.

The focus remains on recovery, identification and support for families affected by the accident. The latest confirmed figure from police is 93 deaths, while 83 victims have been identified through their next of kin.

The RIDA ferry disaster has become a major national tragedy, with the death toll continuing to rise as search teams recover more bodies from Lake Kariba. The latest increase from 80 to 93 was confirmed by police on Tuesday morning.

Authorities are expected to continue providing updates as the recovery and identification process progresses. Until further information is released, the official figures remain 93 confirmed deaths and 83 positively identified victims.

Advertisement

Comments

Leave a comment

Comments are moderated before appearing.

Advertisement

Next for you

Hand-picked stories you might have missed