Wednesday, 19 August 2026PREMIUM EDITORIAL
Government Launches Investigation Into Kariba Ferry Disaster

Government Launches Investigation Into Kariba Ferry Disaster

Z
ZimCelebs·August 19, 2026·6 min read

HARARE – The Zimbabwean Government has launched a formal investigation into the capsizing of the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) Mbuya Nehanda...

BREAKING:

HARARE – The Zimbabwean Government has launched a formal investigation into the capsizing of the Rural Infrastructure Development Agency (RIDA) Mbuya Nehanda ferry on Lake Kariba on August 11, as search and recovery operations continue following a disaster that has claimed more than 90 lives.

The investigation will examine the structural remains of the vessel as well as operational and compliance issues surrounding the ferry, according to information presented during this week’s post-Cabinet media briefing.

Minister of Women Affairs, Community, Small and Medium Enterprises Development Senator Monica Mutsvangwa said preliminary investigations indicated that the ferry had been carrying about 180 passengers and goods, exceeding its carrying capacity.

Advertisement

“Preliminary investigations indicate that the Mbuya Nehanda ferry was ferrying about 180 passengers and goods, thus exceeding its carrying capacity. The vessel reportedly capsized after being struck by strong waves,” Senator Mutsvangwa said.

She said the formal investigation would go beyond the circumstances surrounding the capsizing and examine the condition of the vessel and whether operational and compliance requirements had been followed.

“Government has commenced formal investigations which include examining the structural remains of the vessel and probing operational and compliance issues,” she said.

The Government said the ferry capsized after being struck by strong waves, despite an early warning issued by the Meteorological Services Department. The warning and the reported conditions on the lake will form part of the wider circumstances being examined as authorities investigate the disaster.

President Emmerson Mnangagwa has declared the incident a State of Disaster under Section 27(1) of the Civil Protection Act. The declaration directs relevant authorities to provide affected families with funeral services, medical assistance and psychosocial support.

The Government is also providing State-assisted burials to families affected by the disaster. Senator Mutsvangwa said Doves and Nyaradzo Funeral Services had been engaged to assist with the burials.

Meanwhile, search, rescue and recovery operations are continuing on Lake Kariba. The Department of Civil Protection is coordinating the operation in collaboration with the Zimbabwe Republic Police Sub Aqua Unit, the Zimbabwe National Army Boat Squadron, local authorities and other relevant stakeholders.

“The Department of Civil Protection continues to coordinate search, rescue and recovery operations in collaboration with the Zimbabwe Republic Police Sub Aqua Unit and the Zimbabwe National Army Boat Squadron, local authorities and relevant stakeholders,” Senator Mutsvangwa said.

The search operation has also been expanded through the deployment of additional resources. A privately owned helicopter from the Matusadona Conservation Trust has been deployed to support the recovery effort on the lake.

Authorities have urged people using Lake Kariba to remain vigilant and report any floating bodies or debris that could assist search teams. The information could help authorities locate additional victims or material connected to the ferry disaster.

The formal investigation comes as authorities continue to deal with the scale of the loss of life. The Government’s preliminary findings about the number of passengers and the vessel’s capacity are expected to form part of the investigation into what happened before the ferry capsized.

The reported passenger load is one of the issues that authorities will have to examine. According to the Government, the vessel was carrying about 180 passengers and goods, which exceeded its carrying capacity.

The investigation will also examine the structural remains of the Mbuya Nehanda ferry. This is expected to help authorities establish information about the vessel’s condition and its role in the accident.

Operational and compliance matters will also be investigated. The Government has not yet released the findings of the formal investigation, and no final conclusion has been given on responsibility for the disaster.

The reported weather conditions are another part of the circumstances surrounding the accident. Senator Mutsvangwa said the ferry capsized after being struck by strong waves, while the Meteorological Services Department had issued an early warning.

The Government has not stated whether any individuals or organisations have been found responsible at this stage. The formal investigation is still underway, meaning conclusions about possible failures or liability have not yet been made.

The disaster has also required continued support for affected families. The State of Disaster declaration allows relevant authorities to coordinate assistance, including funeral services, medical support and psychosocial assistance.

The recovery operation involves several Government institutions and other stakeholders. Police divers and the Zimbabwe National Army Boat Squadron are among those involved, with local authorities also supporting the operation.

The deployment of the Matusadona Conservation Trust helicopter adds an aerial search capability to the operation. Authorities have asked members of the public to report sightings of floating bodies or debris rather than ignoring information that could assist the recovery teams.

The Government’s investigation is expected to provide a clearer account of the circumstances surrounding the ferry’s capsizing once the relevant evidence has been examined. For now, the findings released by Cabinet are preliminary.

The disaster occurred on August 11 on Lake Kariba while the RIDA-operated Mbuya Nehanda ferry was carrying passengers and goods. According to the preliminary Government assessment, the vessel was carrying about 180 passengers and goods and was struck by strong waves.

The Government has not yet released a final report on the causes of the accident. The formal investigation will examine the structural remains of the ferry as well as operational and compliance issues.

The State of Disaster declaration also places the response within the national civil protection framework. Authorities are continuing to coordinate the recovery operation while providing assistance to families who have lost relatives.

The Government’s latest update comes as search and recovery work continues. Authorities have urged Lake Kariba users to cooperate with the operation by reporting any information that could assist in locating victims or debris.

The investigation is now expected to establish whether the vessel’s condition, passenger load, operating procedures, compliance requirements and weather conditions contributed to the disaster. These issues remain under investigation and no final findings have yet been announced.

For affected families, the immediate focus remains on recovery, identification and burial arrangements. The Government has said State-assisted burials are being provided through Doves and Nyaradzo Funeral Services.

The Mbuya Nehanda ferry disaster has therefore moved into a formal investigation phase while recovery operations continue. The Government says the probe will examine both the vessel itself and the operational circumstances surrounding the journey.

Further findings are expected as investigators examine the ferry’s structural remains and other evidence. Until those findings are released, the Government’s account that the ferry was carrying about 180 passengers and goods and capsized after being struck by strong waves remains preliminary.

Advertisement

Comments

Leave a comment

Comments are moderated before appearing.

Advertisement

Next for you

Hand-picked stories you might have missed