The Government of Ghana has announced a relief and reintegration package for citizens being evacuated from South Africa following xenophobic attacks and anti-i...
The Government of Ghana has announced a relief and reintegration package for citizens being evacuated from South Africa following xenophobic attacks and anti-immigrant protests targeting African migrants.
According to Ghana’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the support package will include a Welcome Home Financial Package, transport assistance to different destinations across Ghana, reintegration allowances, psychosocial support services and access to employment and startup opportunity programmes.
Advertisement
The government also confirmed that it will fully cover flight costs for citizens returning home as part of the emergency evacuation operation. Authorities said the measures were aimed at assisting affected citizens as they resettle after leaving South Africa.
The evacuation follows growing concerns over the safety of foreign nationals in South Africa after viral videos circulated online showing harassment, intimidation and attacks targeting migrants from other African countries, including Ghanaians.
Ghana approved the evacuation of about 300 citizens who registered with the Ghana High Commission in Pretoria after expressing fears over their safety. Officials said the evacuees requested assistance following the unrest.
Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa announced that President John Dramani Mahama had authorised the evacuation exercise. The first group of evacuees is expected to leave Johannesburg on May 21.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said the support package demonstrates the government’s commitment to protecting and supporting its citizens abroad. “We value and cherish all our citizens,” the ministry said in a statement.
Ghana has also raised the issue through diplomatic channels. Officials confirmed that a letter had been sent to the African Union requesting discussion of the matter during an upcoming summit.
South African authorities have condemned the violence and said those responsible for attacks on foreign nationals would be arrested. However, officials in South Africa have denied claims that xenophobia is systemic within the country.
The recent incidents have prompted concern among several African governments, with countries including Nigeria reportedly taking precautionary measures to protect their nationals living in South Africa.
Ghanaian authorities said the protection of citizens living abroad remains a national priority as evacuation efforts continue. Officials also called for broader continental discussions on migrant safety and relations between African states.
The developments have renewed debate on migration, security and the treatment of foreign nationals within African countries. Governments across the continent are closely monitoring the situation as evacuation and diplomatic efforts continue.




